Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Stupidity

Question of the day: "So are you expecting the pitter patter of little Sterlachini feet?" Asked by a coworker out of the blue. I told her that no, we aren't, but we've been praying about it. She said "Oh so you ARE trying? Some people say they're not even trying so I didn't want to ask". So you'll ask if I'm pregnant but not if I'm trying? Can someone please explain the difference here? Do I have a sign that says "Please, fertile coworkers, please remind me at every. possible. opportunity. that I am not pregnant, and you have sweet little newborns?" That I found out my last IVF failed only two weeks ago?

I think I dealt with the whole thing pretty well, but that doesn't mean it didn't hurt. It doesn't mean I didn't cry for a large portion of the weekend before forcing myself to move on. Or that I didn't keep every copy on every device of the first embryo's picture. I did those things. And it does hurt. Still. It hurts to know I've done the "end of the road" treatment and it didn't work. It hurts to pour thousands of dollars into other people's bank accounts. It's hard to force myself to stay positive when I'm terrified that I'll never hold my own sweet baby in my arms. I just don't need to be reminded that I'm not like everyone else. That it's not easy for us. That we have to give up so many things to be able to even TRY to conceive.

So, coworker. I'm angry and upset that you asked me this question. It's not your business. And I don't need to be reminded that I'm not pregnant, because, rest assured, I think about it enough on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment