Monday, June 13, 2011

Neighbor Problems

We have what I would call "neighbor problems". And I don't mean all of our neighbors. Just one... well.. one house. We live in a rental townhouse community in a farming and agriculture county. Crime was nonexistent until recently, and you could really leave your doors unlocked if you wanted to. We'd been planning on moving out after a year and buying something, but infertility roadblocked us, so we're stuck until we're pregnant and can save some money again. Our house is small, but it's conveniently located between our jobs, and we have a lovely patio and a guest bedroom that will soon be a nursery. And though we had some minor ant issues, and management isn't fantastic, we were pretty happy. That is until "he" moved in.

You see, the maintenance man for the community lives across the way from us. Our townhouses face each other, separated by a grassy area that's about 20-30 feet wide. He's drunk. Yes, I don't know where he is or what he's doing, but from my cubicle at work at 10:23am, I can confidently assure you that he is drunk. The only thing I've ever seen him carry into his house is beer, and, having had him come try to "fix" things in our house, I've spent enough time with him to know that he is seriously lacking in the brain cell department. I'm pretty certain I saw a prostitute leave his house. But he was quiet and non-threatening, and so it wasn't a big deal. That is until about a year ago when someone moved in with him.

And all hell broke loose.

I'd wager a guess that newcomer doesn't own any shirts. At least I've never seen him wear one. Since his arrival their house has become a dumping ground for whatever is around. Chairs, bikes, trash... anything you can think of. He's ALWAYS outside, and he stares. I've tried to be nice, but my husband can't stand him and so our house has gained a stigma. It's a stigma I'm OK with of "We disapprove". So what do we disapprove of exactly?

Well first off, the houses are two bedrooms, and at least 4 people live there. Two grown men, a teenage girl, and a kid. I think there may be more. They're loud and obnoxious, play music in the parking lot at all hours, and don't watch the kids. One of whom throws baseballs at the side of our neighbor's house to play "catch". Except that it's not his house! And we share a wall and we can hear every loud "thunk" that comes off and on for 15 minutes at a time ALL DAY LONG.

Someone spray-painted "kill" on the side of our house, and we're 99.9% sure it was someone from their house or visiting them. They also spray-painted "slut" on our fence. We called the police (welcome, stigma!). Since shirtless doesn't have a job, I'm not sure where he gets the money for all the beer he drinks, but my husband caught him popping open a beer can and hopping behind the wheel to go for a drive. There are kids in the neighborhood. Lots of kids. And now drunk drivers.

So yes, I'm ok with being "those" neighbors because we shouldn't have to live with these delinquents and their... parents? Guardians? Random guys who kidnapped them? I don't know what they are. But I'm tired of being stared at, and ready to go buy shirtless some shirts.

I don't know how we're going to remedy this problem, but I'm ready to call the management company itself because it's out of control. I will not have drunken jerks driving around when I have a baby with me. It's not going to happen.

We're thinking of telling them to move us to the "new" section of townhouses across the street, but then we'd have to get a moving truck to get all of our things over there. And we can't buy anything until we have a baby. So we're stuck. And I hate it. And something is going to be done, but I don't know what.

PS: Stim day 2! I didn't feel anything at all in my ovaries last night. I hope that's not a problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment