Friday, May 13, 2011

Looking Ahead

I've had a few hours to calm down and think. I finally got to talk to Andy and just cry and have him hold me for a while. We discussed our feelings about this cycle and came to an agreement on a plan for how we want to proceed.

We have one frozen embryo, but the success rate for frozen embryo transfers is lower than fresh, and a single transfer is lower than a double. We're a little concerned about this since it costs about 4 grand and our insurance doesn't cover any of it. On the other hand, we could do a fresh cycle, which insurance does cover, and it would be 5 grand. The deposit is a lot more up front, but it seems like it would be worth it. And we already have an entire box of menopur. Our hope is that we could do a fresh transfer and get a couple day 5 embryos this time and put in our frozen embryo and a fresh one.

My RE really doesn't want to put in more than 1, but at this point we've already had a failed transfer, and we don't want to keep putting our money into something that might not work. The chance for twins is high, but it's much more likely that we would NOT have twins. I think that it's reasonable to put in a fresh and a frozen blast (assuming we have blasts).

We're going to talk to the RE about it and see if we can convince her to do 2, and we're going to look into the multi-cycle discount program and see if we can do it with insurance. I don't know if we'll be able to talk her into transferring 2 embryos, but transferring only 1 frozen concerns me. So we'll see what she says. I have a list of 19 questions I want to ask her about, so I'm hoping we can get in to see her very soon. We want to start immediately, but we want to nail down exactly what we want to do.

I'm happy to have something to re-focus on. We're trying to just look forward to the next cycle and think positively. I'll feel so, so good if we can put in 2 embryos. I don't know how this next cycle will go, but if we can get on a new protocol and maybe get some more eggs, that would be great. So we'll see what happens, but we're getting back on the IVF train, and doing some things differently this time. Which I'll talk about later.

No comments:

Post a Comment