Wednesday, April 20, 2011

1st Ultrasound Woes

Ugh. I'm freaking out, and I really don't know if I should be. So if anyone has been through an IVF cycle, please help me decipher my results from today!

A week ago, the day after stopping BCPs, I had 22 antral follicles. I then got my period. Antrals start developing before AF, so... 22 at baseline. I started stims on Sunday night - 75iu follistim, 75iu menopur. Today was my first ultrasound after 3 days of stims. The tech first asked if I'd had any cysts at baseline, which I hadn't. This freaked me out, as I could see what she was referring to on the screen. GIANT round black spot. So she measured it and looked around. She said she could only see 11 follicles, and 6 were measurable - the big one was 16mm. ON DAY FOUR. So the other 5 were under 10. I'm not worried about those since we're only 3 days in. But here's what I am worried about:

1 - WTF dominant follicle!?
2 - Where are my other 11 follicles!???

I asked the nurse and she said "Well we can't wake all of them up". But ELEVEN?? That's half! This is the same nurse that told me 20 total follicles was too many and I probably had PCOS, but when I asked MY nurse she said it was awesome.

So what's going on? Is it too early to have a lot of measurables? I do have about a week left of stims. Could more catch up? Could some have been hiding behind the GIANT follicle that took up half the screen?

My actual nurse is going to call me later with information, so I'm going to ask her all these questions. I'm expected to start ganirilex tonight to slow down the lead guy and let the others catch up. I hope it helps. I was really hoping for 18+ follicles today (not measurable, just visible). So I hope I'm freaking out for no reason because it's just too early. Any info would be very much appreciated :)

2 comments:

  1. Don't get too wrapped around numbers. Before my retrieval it looked like I might have 20-22, only 7 mature were retrieved. Try not to worry, this is OUT OF YOUR CONTROL!!

    Hopefully the meds will slow down the lead and allow the others to catch up. They will have to watch to make sure that lead isn't sucking up all the meds. Would they consider switching you to IUI if there are only <4 looking mature?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if they'd switch to IUI. They said they weren't worrying about cancelling yet - that the ganirilex should slow down the lead, and more should crop up over the next few days. I'm trying so hard not to worry about it. I always figured with so many antrals I'd get more.

    ReplyDelete