Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Scare, and Random Comments

I had a very scary morning this morning. I got up and took a shower like normal. I threw up (sort of... I went through all the motions but nothing came out) and then dried off and went into the bedroom. I'd been nervous about my BP so I decided to take a reading... which came back at 150/103. Uhm... WHAT!? I immediately checked my ankles for swelling (none) and then made sure I didn't have a headache. I tried to take the reading 3 more times and kept getting errors. So I pulled it together and came in to work, and immediately went to the health center. We have thousands of employees so we have a real health center. I sat down for a few moments then had them take my BP... 136/79. THANK GOD. I know this machine gets calibrated so it's correct. I'm pretty sure my home monitor is either messed up because it's 10 years old and has never been calibrated, or my BP was artificially high because I'd just thrown up. It is never ever that high, and 99% of the time my diastolic is in the normal range. I hadn't taken my BP meds in a while, and I took them between the two readings, but I don't think that was what did it. So I'm feeling better about things. If it was Pre-E or anything like that it wouldn't have come down to normal so quickly. It still makes me a teeny bit nervous but I know the doctor is monitoring me, and I know we have tons of room to up my dose if we need to, so hopefully everything will level out. But note to self: don't take BP right after throwing up.

In other news, it appears I really am showing. This weekend Andy and I went to Philly for his friend's wedding. While Andy has been home a few times, I haven't been up there since I was about 6 weeks pregnant, and so I haven't seen anyone in a while, and they definitely noticed a difference. One of them gave me the lovely quote "Whoah! Look at that baby!", while another one came up with a gem that was something along the lines of "I didn't know you were supposed to get this big by 16 weeks!". To be honest I don't mind those comments at all because it makes me feel like I look pregnant, not just fat. I feel, internally, like the baby must have really done some growing lately, too. I'm sore and stretched all over my lower abdomen, and I think all my organs are starting to press upwards because I never have an appetite anymore. I think my stomach is getting smooshed. It's definitely weird. I get sort of excited with each new pain though, and each time I see myself looking bigger in the mirror. It makes me feel like I'm doing a good job and this baby is growing well. I can't be sure that's the case, but that's how it feels.


I'm looking forward to getting away this weekend with Andy and relaxing. I think we both need it. And when we come back it will only be 10 days until the anatomy scan!  I can't wait for Andy to see this baby. Still counting down to 24 weeks, but I feel a little better as each week passes. I know anything can still happen, but I'm glad that for now things look OK. I will do anything I can to keep them that way and keep this little baby safe. I can has 38 weeks now?????

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're okay and I'm *soo* excited for you to have your anatomy scan =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very happy to hear your BP is doing okay, and that you're feeling better.

    It has to be so wonderful getting the comments about showing - I have pretty much convinced myself that is one aspect of pregnancy I may not ever get to experience. If I can have a healthy baby in the end, I suppose it's not that important. But I dunno... I think the pregnant comments have to make you feel so warm and fuzzy on the inside!! :)

    Anyway, keep hanging in there. 38 weeks will be here in a few blinks of an eye!

    ReplyDelete