Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Wow. Prednisone. It's a funny, funny animal. I'm not sure if I'm just weird, or if I need to give it more time, but... I feel GOOD. I took my first dose Monday night at around 11pm. Tuesday morning sucked. I couldn't sleep and I got restless legs and pain in my hips. Later on in the day I started to feel better, though, and I decided to switch my dosing to mornings, so I took my second dose a few hours ago. And I feel awesome. I feel... confident, able, positive, and energetic. These are things which do not describe me. Prednisone has an energy-causing... mania sort of effect on some people. I think I am experiencing some form of this but it's  very mild.. I almost feel like I'm on the perfect anti-anxiety medicine. I have energy again, I'm not full of anxiety, I'm able to stop my mind from focusing on obsessions from my OCD (I dont know that this effect will last but it's ok for today!) But it's not TOO much. It's just enough that I feel... almost normal again, without being over the top crazy. I was able to sleep last night as well. If I could feel like this the next 6 months I'd be a happy girl! I know that as I am on it for longer the side effects will probably change and maybe get worse, but I'm enjoying what it's doing right now lol. Yesterday I had a LITTLE bit of an overzealous appetite but I didn't let it get to me too much. Today I feel fine. I actually feel like I have MORE control because I'm not depressed and anxious. I've been drinking a lot of water and decaf tea to help stave off the water retention.

One of the side effects of prednisone is high blood sugar. So far I've been doing OK but I really don't want to take insulin so I'm trying to pay attention to my carbs. I think this is probably a better way for me to live anyway so I'm hoping I can sort of learn from this experience what kinds of "good" carbs I enjoy and what bad carbs I'm willing to give up. I plan to eat that way while pregnant anyway. I have a calendar at my desk to keep track of my doses and I can't wait to be looking at it with months filled up with Xs. I'm FINALLY doing something on this journey. I'm still terrified I won't loe the weight in time but I just have to keep trying and do the best I can. I wonder what exactly about Prednisone causes weight gain. Some say water retention and some say the appetite. I don't remember a lot of water retention previously while on it and I think if I drink enough I will be ok. And I can control my appetite if I have to. I read some stories of people gaining 30 pounds in 2 weeks, or 60 in 3 months. AHHHH!!! I gained 5 in 2 months the last time I was on it and I was not paying attention to my nutrition. I ended up gaining 30 total, but that happned after my wedding and through the holidays and I wasn't on any sort of diet program so I don't think it was the prednisone's fault. I guess only time will tell, but I just keep picturing me holding our sweet baby and I know I have to do whatever I have to to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment