Friday, October 22, 2010

Infertility At Work

Infertility is a touchy subject all the time, but especially at work. Today we had a baby shower where I found out a co-worker was pregnant with baby #2. She got pregnant exactly 1 year after #1 was born, so I'm pretty sure it was the first month trying. she was pregnant within 3 months of her wedding, so.. no problems there. Two other girls there were pregnant as well. Both on their first month trying. Two others who had just had babies.. 1 first month, 1 wasn't even trying. What a time that was. When I returned to my desk I started discussing one of the girls' upcoming showers with the 2 new moms. Neither one of them really knew I was trying but I kind of mentioned that we'd been having some issues. Just in a joking, "So which waterfountain have y'all been using?" kind of way. They were discussing their infants and both said "Oh, we can change the subject if it makes you uncomfortable!". *sigh* We all know how that one feels... I know they're trying to be nice but I feel like a bit of a freak. So I said "NO! I love it! Seriously. It’s not always easy but babies are amazing and everyone should be psyched to talk about their kids. Me having trouble doesn’t make it any less awesome that your babies are doing cool stuff. I just know a lot of people don’t talk about it but I think it’s cool because if you ever run into anyone else that has trouble they can see “Hey, there are options.” So I think I handled it pretty tactfully without sounding insincere. Now they're making jokes about how I need to have twin boys to fill the world up with more since everyone else is having girls.


I think it makes people uncomfortable, but I do like to be open about it. When I finally put baby stuff on Facebook, I plan to mention that our baby was conceived with fertility treatments (unless we have a miracle before then). I don't want to make people feel weird, but I know that there are other people out there struggling that don't have anyone to talk to and don't know about all of their options and things, so if someone needs to talk to someone, I want them to feel like they can talk to me. I think it's amazing how much people DON'T know about infertility. Things that are so normal to me, like talking about IVF and IUI and temping and OPKs, are so... unheard of to people who are fertile, or who aren't, but don't have any idea where to begin.


I'm not as convinced about ovulation anymore from my temp this morning, but I think I did. and if I didn't, I'd like my period please. I just want to be on to a new cycle. I got my IVF paperwork in the mail!!! Our initial deposit is going to be like 3600, plus it'll be around 1200 for cryopreservation and storage for a year. I'm incredibly thankful that my parents are paying for these things. I'm sure we'll have to pay them back for freezing but that's OK. I don't think we could come up with the deposit in time without them so I'm eternally grateful for this gift. We just have to get insurance approval and then be on our way. I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment