Saturday, October 16, 2010

Well.. being a diabetic is not fun. I knew that while I was getting prednisone IVs it screwed up my blood sugar but part of me just didn't think it would in pill form. At first my sugars seemed ok, and I wasn't really testing much, but today I realized I need to. On a whim, I tested after eating 2 waffles with some syrup and it was 158. I'm supposed to take insulin if it's over 150 but I thought "It's super close and my timing is off.. I ate an hour and a half ago and I'm supposed to test before I eat" so I didn't take it. But, knowing it was high, I tested later in the afternoon and it was 358!!!! HOLY. Shit. So I had to suck it up and try the insulin. I had to take the max dose, and I was scared. I don't mind needles, but I didn't want to give one to myself. My friend was over and I asked her to sit with me while I did it. She's actually for real diabetic but isn't on insulin yet. I have a little pen, so I just pinched the skin by my belly button and placed the needle against the skin. Then I braced myself and shoved it in. And I didn't even feel it! I mean I really didn't feel it. I'm kind of happy just because I knew if I wanted to do IVF I would have to give myself needles and I was scared, but this pen is similar to a lot of the IVF needles and it wasn't an issue at all, so I'm glad I know that and it gives me one less thing to worry about as I go into it. It's still not exciting though and it's expensive. My pen is $60 bucks and may not even last a month. The strips are another 30, plus lancets... it's out of control. And I have good insurance! It's definitely teaching me that I need to lose weight though because I don't want to become actually diabetic. I'm very glad this is temporary and medication-induced. It's just not fun. I am feeling very sickly with all the medications I'm currently on. BUT I haven't seen any water retention in my ankles in two weeks and I'm hoping that's because the prednisone is doing its job. So... now I really need to lose that 15 pounds to make the IVF weight limit. I feel like such an ass. I was way under it when I started the meds last time but I was so down and just assumed it would make me gain weight that I let it make me gain.. 30 pounds! I'm an idiot. But.. not wanting to deal with insulin is making me make better food choices so hopefully in 2 or 3 months I'll have lost the weight, have my testing done, have better kidneys, and start IVF!!

No comments:

Post a Comment