Saturday, December 31, 2011

Aaaaaand I Get Bad News

As expected, I have failed the 1 hour glucose test. Prior to getting pregnant I'd had some tests done that showed a high A1C but awesome fasting glucose. So they pretty much felt I was headed to diabetes but not there yet. Shortly after those tests I started taking high dose prednisone, which just.. wreaks havoc on your pancreas and blood sugars. I was frequently testing at 390 and on insulin. That wasn't something I could change. Prednisone is a terrible drug. And I'm wondering if it caused some permanent damage. But whether it did or not, things aren't looking good. They wanted to see a number under 130 and mine was 190. I'm fully expecting to fail the 3 hour, which I'll be taking next weekend because I can't take the time off work. I have to eat a specific diet for 3 days prior. It's basically just them trying to ensure I eat enough carbs for an accurate test and, uhm.. that won't be an issue.

The thing is, if I'm being honest with myself, I need to lose weight. I was morbidly obese prior to pregnancy. And I know people will say "No way, I've seen your pictures"but... yeah. I carry it well, but I am more than 100 pounds overweight. And now I just feel kind of stupid. I tried many times to lose weight, and I have been successful. I lost 50 pounds in college, but I did it by basically not eating and exercising obsessively. I lost 17 pounds before my wedding on Weight Watchers, but I gained it back when I started steroids. But I feel like there will always be something that comes up to keep me from losing weight, and I just need to do it. Especially now. Chances are I'm going to be diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and I know that with my history, Type II isn't far behind. And I can't let that happen. I have a daughter now, and my kidneys and cholesterol (hereditary) are enough of a worry. I don't need something I CAN control to make things even worse.

My BFF Megan who is due in the beginning of April is planning on starting Weight Watchers right after her baby is born, and I plan on starting right after E is born. Our leave should overlap by at least a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping we can get some exercise in together with the babies. And I love Weight Watchers. It really is such a fantastic program that teaches you how to eat, and it works. I just need to stick to it when life gets in the way. I'm hoping to breastfeed for a while and that would help with the weight loss.

I've also decided that I think I'm going to schlep the family to Chicago in July. E will be 4-5 months and hopefully in a pattern, and I really want A to get to see his team in their home environment. I know it might not be possible, but every year there's a new reason we can't go. Last year it was a failed IVF causing us to have to pay for a second round. So if we can get by maternity without using our credit cards, I'd like to at least try. It'll also depend on where Andy's working, but we'll see.

Oh yeah, and tomorrow we're FINALLY painting the nursery!!!!! I'm so excited. I'll post pictures of the transformation. Today I'm going to go get a new curtain rod fr the baby's room too, 'cause what we have right now is really ugly. I like projects so this should be a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment