Saturday, February 4, 2012

Downhill

The drama that is my life this week continues. I had an NST scheduled with my regular doctor on Friday morning, and I was super excited to finally see him. He said he had just looked at my chart because he thought maybe I'd delivered since he hadn't seen me in a while. I did the NST which Evie passed within like 2 minutes because she was so incredibly active. My BP was a bit elevated and I told him I was concerned with the creatinine rise. Rather than get the tests done Saturday and wait until Tuesday to find out what was going on, he wanted to send me to the hospital next door for monitoring, so I went. I'd called my boss to tell her I was going to be a little longer and headed over, expecting to get some blood pressure readings and find out my creatinine was still 1.4. This time I had Andy come down on the off chance that the news was bad - I didn't want to be alone.

I got over there and got into the hospital gown and my BP was checked and they took some blood. A got there we sat and talked for a little bit just waiting for things to happen. I was not happy with the doctor on call that day. She came in to talk to me about a conversation I'd had with MFM three days prior, and then was like "Translation..." and went into it and I'm sitting there thinking "I'm the one that had the conversation. I knew what she meant. WTF." I was irritated, and I hate being patronized and talked down to. So I was annoyed with that anyway, and then she comes in with my blood work and says "What was your creatinine before?" and I told her it was 1.4. She responded by "It was 1.6".

So I sat there and just stared at her for a minute, because I honestly didn't believe it was going to get worse. So I was scared, and I told her I was scared, and I didn't want to wait to 38 weeks if my kidneys were going to fail. I had her contact my nephrologist and MFM, but she was on her way to surgery, so A and I sat there talking while she did a C-Section and then tried to contact other doctors. It was a difficult hour, as before she left, she'd said "We might be having this baby today". 

We got pretty scared at that point because we were not ready for this baby yet. We were supposed to have 4 more weeks and we had a lot to do. But I didn't know if my kidneys would decline too rapidly and we had to sit there trying to figure out WTF to do.

She came back after a little while and she'd gotten hold of MFM, and she spoke with my nephrologist shortly thereafter. Together, they all decided that the best course of action was to induce at 36 weeks. I didn't trust the on call doctor, but my nephrologist said he didn't think 2 more weeks would make much of a difference, but that we shouldn't wait much longer, so together we agreed to this plan.

I don't have the pre-eclampsia they kept warning me about, but we're inducing before full term because my kidneys are seriously failing. It scares the shit out of me. We also discovered I have some sort of bladder infection or something, which might affect my creatinine a little, but not much. I'm on antibiotics for that, though, which is nice because it does feel a little better. So the problem is there's no way to know if this kidney function loss is permanent or not, and we won't know until a bit after E is born. We do know that right now it's definitely getting worse, and we're just praying it's temporary and my kidneys are just overworked.

For right now the plan is to go in for my NST on Tuesday and schedule an amnio for the following week to determine lung function. Assuming it comes back saying E's lungs are mature, I'll be induced the next day. Right now it's looking like it'll be about the 17th, so less than 2 weeks.

We have so much to do at this point, and I'm glad we know when she's coming so we can get everything done, but it's less time than we thought and getting less by the day. I have a lot of paperwork to finish at work for my leave, and a lot of loose ends to tie up. We still have things to do in the nursery, and we need to get the car seats installed. There's a lot to do and we're excited but it's such a weird time. We can't wait to meet E, but we want my kidneys to be OK, and we have a lot to accomplish. It's tough and it's scary and I wasn't expecting to hear that my kidneys were really getting worse. So now we wait.. but not too long.

1 comment:

  1. I'm praying for you. I can't imagine how scary this must be. I'm so sorry. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete