Monday, July 23, 2012

A Weekend Adventure in Parenting and Mommyhood

We've had an interesting weekend. Filled with lots of this:



My kid sure is happy. Unless she's tired when she gets extremely cranky, but most of the time it's all smiles. Or this:



Oh yeah. She looks like me now. Sweet. Saturday we went out to dinner. It was an ordeal. It started out great. We went to an aquarium store and looked at all the fishies (and said repeatedly that I needed a saltwater tank!). My parents were there, so she got some good Popi time. They loved her skinny jeans. I hate skinny jeans. They were a gift, but looked so freaking cute on her:


We then went to dinner at Joe's Crab Shack. Or tried. It's near a mall that was crowded and awful. The wait we were quoted was 1.5 hours. E was great until it hit about 8:00 when she got super cranky. I was ready to just hit the road when I put her in the car seat and she passed out peacefully and happily. And our name was called! 45 minutes. Not too bad, right? She slept blissfully through dinner, during which I got one of these:


because I needed it after the stressful time getting there. It was good. My parents drove. I wasn't drunk. Or anywhere close to it. It was probably the loudest restaurant ever, but she was great. And I thought she might wake up for a while at home, but I transferred her to the rock n play, gave her a 2oz bottle, and she was asleep within about 10 minutes, and slept until 6:30, which lately has been "sleeping in". Clearly she doesn't realize her mom is not a morning person. At least she had the decency to wait until 6 this morning. She's been doing this torturous 5:30 thing that I just can't handle. She needs to read all those baby books that say she needs "at least" 10 hours!

And then yesterday this happened:


And this is not one of those "quick grab the picture before she falls" pictures. She leans over propped up on her hands all the time. But really far over. I discovered yesterday that if you call her name or she sees something interesting, she'll push herself up into a more realistic sitting position like this one. She can sit like that for maybe 20 seconds or so. Depending on what she finds interesting. I believe this was Strawberry Shortcake.

Recently I've had to kind of read her mind to figure out what she wants. Yesterday was fun trying to guess why she was crying. It ended up mostly being that she was tired. She spent 99% of the day happy, but she took 5 naps (30-45 minutes). So she'd fuss a half hour after waking up and I'd try everything until I realized she was just still tired. And she's decided she wants to be sitting up all the time. Even if she can't hold herself up. So I took to holding her in a sitting position to play with her toys. I give it two weeks before she's doing it herself, though. This kid wants to be a part of everything. Being on your back is for suckers. Sitting is where it's at. And she hates being strapped into the rock n play because she wants to be sitting and looking around and doing her own thing. I really need to get her some toys for sitters because this whole laying down batting at things gig is getting to be too juvenile lol. She's ready for some big kid stuff!

I'm glad that I listen to my own instincts. My mom keeps saying not to push her to do things, but I knew she could sit up on her own, and because I trusted myself, I got to see it for the first time. I don't want to miss anything with this kid. 

A and I got into a huge argument this morning. His job is the worst thing ever. I mean, maybe not literally, but it's quite close to it. It's like a marriage destroyer. And he's pretty much always on the brink of snapping at me. And since I can be totally and completely antagonistic (like this morning) it's not a good situation. My husband needs a break from the hell that is Decisive Communications, and I need 5 minutes to go to the bathroom by myself. Together, we need to get the loan DONE for this house so we can move. We're not going to make it through a whole lot more Decisive (I say with only the tiniest hint of seriousness. We are struggling, but we know it's not US. It's the stress of a new baby and a job in hell). We'll be OK. A just needs a Xanax or 4, and I need to sleep past 6:30. And E needs nothing, because she has everything her little heart desires, and more love than any little girl could ever hope for. And it's going to stay that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment