Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Lots of Good Things!

Another weekend is gone, and we're another weekend closer to E turning 5 months old. I can't believe she will be 5 months in just 4 days. I really feel like I just posted about 4 months maybe yesterday. 

Things are getting really interesting in our lives right now. E is still a high energy baby. It's adorable, but what it means is mostly that she screams all day long. Not cries, just screams to hear herself talk. She LOVES talking (though mommy won't complain when she learns to do it at a lower volume). She's woken up the last two nights laughing and kicking at 4:50 and 3am, respectively. I think this is a response to my mild sleep training. She's saying "Well ok. I'll get myself back to sleep, but I have to wake up first to do that, so there". I'm just kidding, but that's how it feels. I really don't need much in the way of sleep training. E's great. For the most part, she sleeps through the night, but sometimes she wakes up once or twice in that first hour. What I started doing since she's now in her own room, is going in to check on her, making sure she hasn't spit up, giving her a kiss and some smiles, and then leaving. I watch her on the video monitor and she's usually back asleep within 5-10 minutes. Thank the Lord above she doesn't cry. I don't know if I could handle it. She does absolutely minimal fussing (she turns her head from side to side and once every 30 seconds or so she makes a little noise) and I already feel horrible for not grabbing her up. But I know I'm doing the right thing for her because she needs to learn to put herself back to sleep. Unfortunately she has woken up the last two nights. I still give her a bottle when this happens because.. hey.. she's not even 5 months old. And I figure she sleeps through the night most of the time, so if she's waking up there must be a reason. I hope I'm not encouraging a bad pattern, but normally she has 2 or 3 nights a week she wakes up, so hopefully she has just had them in a row.

We had the inspection on our house and it went pretty well, so barring an issue with our loan or the well and septic, we should be moving in next month! I can't wait to put in our kitchen and paint everything. I'm so excited for us to have more space for cool toys now that E is about to be using more of them. Why do I say that? Oh, just because she's starting to sit unassisted! No joke. Yesterday I had her lying on the floor and I held on to her hands and together we got her to a sitting position. She propped herself up on her hands and sat there. She was leaning forward, but she was balanced, and not completely folded over like a taco. I think in the next few weeks she'll be a pro, and looking for toys she can play with sitting instead of on her back. I can't wait! She's getting so much more tactile. I read her a v-tech story that lights up the other night and she was touching it and "talking" when it sang. She loves touching things that light up, so I'm going to get her a music table and some other fun things. So far, she's undecided about the Johnny jump-up....



But she does still love tv. Her eyes are such a cool color, and I'm starting to wonder if they'll stay that color as they haven't changed since birth. They look brown in distant pictures, but they're actually a dark blue-grey, and she's coming up on 6 months (way too fast) so anything's possible. Genetically it is. I used a punent square. I'm a nerd.


We've been seeing mostly this face lately:


She smiles for the camera now. I love that smile more than anything on earth. She's such a happy baby. The guy at the inspection kept commenting on how alert and happy she was. Everyone does!

Next weekend my mom and dad are taking E for the night so A and I can go on a date and sleep in some. I feel better about it now because by the time we drop her off it's almost bed time, and she sleeps in her own room anyway, so she won't be like "hey where's mom?". Plus my mom will get to sleep since E does. I just need to catch up on some sleep. It's not that I don't get any, but I'm not meant to be up at 6 every day. I just need a day to sleep until 8 or 9. Then we're going to go see her and cuddle then go to the movies with my dad early, then spend the rest of the day with her (and the next day! Yay weekends off for A!). Our relationship has improved so much lately, but we still need a little time alone. I miss her like CRAZY when I'm not with her, but she'd be sleeping for most of it, so it's not so bad. And we need to keep our relationship strong. That's definitely in her best interest.

Pluuuuus the weekend after that we're going away together! We're hitting the beach Friday-Monday. I'm working a half day early, then we're driving down to the beach (I'm sure with a few stops for E to eat and be cranky lol). The goal is just to get there before bed time, get checked in and settled in, put her to bed, then sit on our oceanfront balcony. We'll go to the beach Saturday and Sunday and sit in the wet sand where the water just laps up to her little feet and make sandcastles. Sand is a new texture for her! I'm ordering a tent so she can be out of the sun for the most part. We'll probably dip her little feet in, but I won't go out with her past my knees 'cause I don't want to get knocked over with her!!!! I hope she loves the water as much as we do. And I hope the Small swim diapers work because they are for 16 pounds and she's... well.. not.

Man how exciting times are with our sweet little one. Moving into a house, going to the beach... then holidays coming up? Everything is a million times better with her. I am so in love. And so thankful to God for our miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment