Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What a (waste of a) Weekend

Weekends are a great time in my household. I love having two days where I can wake up with my girl and not have to leave her. This weekend I also had two days I could wake up with my husband! For once he didn't work, and it was great, but we sort of wasted the weekend by accident. We tried to go see his family, but the visit sucked, so we came home less than 24 hours later (way less). Then A and E had a horrendous day Monday. A kept saying it was her reflux because she cried all day long and he kept calling me for support. When I got home he was holding her and she was screaming... until she saw me and stopped instantly. I took her from him and I could tell she was upset, but I got the feeling it wasn't reflux. It's not like "Hey, mom's home so I'm happy" but "Hey, mom's home, maybe she knows how to help me". I felt so bad for Andy. He was so sad that she didn't cry for me. But the fact is, I DID know what the problem was. She was tired, and that's it. So I rushed her into the car and she slept for about 40 minutes and woke up a brand new baby. It turned out she'd only slept a total of an hour the whole day. A had tried, but just could not get her to sleep. I'm proud of my mom instinct for knowing what the problem was, but I stll feel bad that A wanted so much to help her and couldn't. I think she could pick up on how frustrated he was. The day started out terribly because we had a pen explode in the dryer all over her clothes and the dryer itself. Then she was cranky. Poor A. All he wants is to have a good day with her and play and be able to calm her down. I always tell him that for the first 8 weeks I was home with her (all day and night, every day and night) the same thing happened all the time because I didn't know what to do and couldn't tell what was wrong. It takes time and practice, and I'm proud that I have a husband who wants to take the time and get to know how to take care of her! He can't be expected to get everything perfect on 1 day a week. He's so hard on himself. But they'll figure each other out.

One positive thing that happened this weekend is we put E in her room on Sunday night. It took a bit to get her to sleep, and I was a nervous wreck even with the video monitor, but we did it and it was OK. Actually it was sort of (REALLY) nice to be able to watch tv and move around and talk without worrying about waking her. I feel like I could have some real "me" time with E in her room. And maybe keep the house cleaner! The only scary part was when I woke up in the middle of the night and the monitor had died. I should have realized that with a screen that's always on it wouldn't have much battery life. She was OK, but I moved her into my room at 2AM. But we both survived, so I'm willing to try it again, just plugging the monitor in this time!

Here are a million pictures I took of E this weekend. Two of them are just to showcase her amazing eyes/eyelashes.

Like this one:



And this one. Her eyes are still a beautiful grey/blue. I think they're going to turn hazel, but A's mom's eyes are blue hazel, which is unique. They're blue with a tiny bit of brown, so she might get that. Or she'll have green with brown like A and I have.


This is E showcasing her new fun thing to do: sit! Whenever she's propped up, be it on the rock n play or the boppy, she pulls herself to a sitting position... like a baby sit-up. In the picture below she did that all by herself. Then she propped her arm on the boppy so she could stay this way for a bit without my help. She's so freaking smart. And she's going to be sitting on her own soon!


Gratuitous cuteness. I was sitting in the back seat on our long drive to Philly. She liked that.


One of my two favorite new things she does. She was actually petting the cat. Rubbing her hand back and forth along her fur.


And I have another favorite thing (you're shocked, I know!). Whenever I'm holding her and someone leans down to talk to her (stranger, family.. whoever) she just stares for a second, and then breaks into this HUGE smile and makes this "huh" sound that's her half-laugh happy sound. It's so freaking cute. She just LOVES people and new faces. And that smile.. oh my gosh. She's the best thing ever.

Oh, PS: I'm going to regret saying this when she wakes up 15 times tonight, but she's back to mostly sleeping through the night. She seems to be sleeping through the night 2/3 days... 7:30 or 8 to 6 or 6:30. On the third day she'll get up once to eat. I'm not sure why she was up so much for those two days last week, but hopefully this is her "normal".

No comments:

Post a Comment