Thursday, October 24, 2013

A Pregnancy Story

I don't think I've talked about this too much, but I kind of want to record my pregnancy story this time around. I know most of my followers are from the IF community, so please know that this was a spontaneous pregnancy if you want to read or not read :) Andy and I wanted more kids. We'd thought pretty hard about transferring one of our three embryos when E was 2-2.5. I didn't really want more than a 3 year age gap, but anything smaller scared me. She was a handful and I wanted to do the Cellcept to see if it could help my kidneys first. Since we were considered an infertile couple, and there was very little action in our house, we didn't worry about it unexpected pregnancy. I noticed signs of ovulation sometimes, but I never tested with OPKs or did any of that stuff because since Andy had MFI, it just wasn't in the cards for us. I had my period on 5/25, and on 6/8 we finally got some "alone time". What would be the only time that month. I was pretty sure I felt myself ovulate on the 9th. I get mittleschmertz so I can usually tell. It was funny because it was day 15 and normally I ovulate later when I do ovulate. I remember thinking to myself "Oh that's funny! The timing is right on". Of course the timing had been right on for so many months and nothing happened. And even fertile couples with that timing usually did it a few more times around ovulation. An infertile couple with 1 shot, where my ovulation is funny and Andy has MFI? Nah. Around that time a friend of mine who also was considered infertile announced that she was pregnant. She'd gotten pregnant the month after her IVF baby was born. I was admittedly jealous, and thought "man, urban legends really happen!" but there was a little flinch for one second where something said "that's going to be me". And I laughed because we weren't one of THOSE couples. The lucky ones who defy the odds. I mean kidney failure adds to infertility and my kidneys were worse than when we were diagnosed! On 6/20 I took a test. I think I planned to have some drinks that night and I thought since my period usually comes at 11DPO, and it was 11DPO, I should just make sure. It was negative. I came back a few hours later and thought I saw a shadow, but Andy said I was crazy, it was HOURS after the time limit, and that was that. I'd said a prayer to God before I took the test that whatever happened, it was His plan for us, so I accepted the negative and said I'd test in a week if I still didn't have my period. The next day, 6/21, 12DPO, I had an all day meeting. I was taking notes for some big wigs, and at one point my boobs hurt so bad I couldn't concentrate. It was strange because I often get twinges post-ovulation, but this was different. I laughed and said "Well it's a good thing I tested last night because this would make me paranoid"! I went about my business, each day expecting my period and it didn't come. The next Wednesday, 17DPO, I still didn't have my period. I assumed I was wrong and I didn't ovulate when I thought. I was meeting my friends for game night, and as I was driving there, I coughed. That cough was kind of a signal to me because when it happened, I felt like my uterus was going to fly out of my butt. It's an odd feeling I've only ever had when pregnant. I told one of my friends about it and she begged me to take a test. I told her I didn't want to because I already had and it was negative, and I was tired of negative tests. We weren't planning on another baby for a bit, but I had baby fever and I knew I'd be upset. I did promise her I'd take one when I got home after preparing myself for the stark white test window. I stopped at Rite Aid on the way home and got a pack of cheap Answer sticks. The kind that registers like 50+mu HCG because I didn't want to waste money. On the way home I said another prayer: "God, whatever the results of this test may be, please let them be what Your plan is in our lives". When I got home, I found a little cup, peed, and put the test strip in it and set it on the counter. It was 11:30pm. I sat there for a minute because I can never wait and not look at the test. When I looked up at it, I saw a line. It wasn't "dark" but there's no way I was imagining it. I didn't have to squint. But I didn't believe it, so I got up and got in the shower and told myself I was crazy and it would be negative when I got out of the shower. It was a quick shower. I dried off and walked over and there it was. Two lines. And they were dark. I still couldn't believe it so I went downstairs and woke up my husband who'd fallen asleep on the couch. This time he saw it too, but he wasn't ready to believe it so he went back to sleep. I couldn't sleep. I remember texting my friend "WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP" lol. No one was up to talk to me. Somehow I eventually went to sleep. Andy was just not processing it well. He'd been out of work and we just didn't know how we would afford it. I was calm because I'd prayed about it. I told him I'd tell my parents, who were coming to watch E that day, so they didn't wonder why he was being weird. I called them from the cafeteria at work and told them I had something to tell them. They flipped out. They were so excited. And by the end of the day, Andy was excited, too. We started talking about how crazy it was that it was actually happening, and that we just couldn't believe it. We now know we're having a baby boy. We're both beyond thrilled, and I pray every night just about for our new addition. It's going to be a lot of work and a big adjustment, but we're so blessed to be able to complete our family when we never even knew if we'd have ONE child.

No comments:

Post a Comment