Tuesday, August 13, 2013

11w2d and a Surprise Ultrasound

Today I am 11w2d with baby 2. I've decided I need to switch OB offices. I wanted Andy and Evie to hear B's heartbeat, so we all went, but E's a rambunctious toddler, and it took them 45 minutes past my appointment time to see me, so Andy had to take E out to the car. She hadn't napped so he drove her around. Meanwhile, 4 people that got in after me went back. When I did get back there, they told me I needed to come back in 2 weeks instead of 4 because my BP was up (because I was livid) and I had a lot of protein in my urine. Here's how that conversation went:

NP: You have a lot of protein in your urine this time. 4+.

Me: Yes. I always do.

NP: You didn't have any last time.

Me: Yes I did.

NP: Gives me a dirty look.

I'm sorry your nurses are incompetent, but I had protein. I always have protein. Thousands and thousands of mg. I had 5000 in the 24 hour urine I'd done just prior to that appointment. So unless Jesus Christ came down and decided it was time for me to have 1 random clean dipstick test out of the hundreds I've done in the last 5 years, your nurse read the wrong person's results, or did a DIPSTICK test wrong. Then the nurse asked what meds I was on. I said Aldomet (a very common bp med for pregnancy). She had no idea what it was. They use Labetelol, which is a class C drug, whereas Aldomet is a B. So they go to do the doppler and can't find B's heartbeat. And I'm a worrier, but I just sat there, half expecting it because E's was always tough to find, and these people are idiots. They took me to the ultrasound room, where they have one decades-old machine. At 11 weeks I could see B and its little heartbeat, but it just looked like a blob because the machinery is so awful. And of course, Andy and E missed it because it took so damn long to get me back there. So I'm super glad B is ok, but the whole appointment sucked, and I'm switching to a new practice. There's one down the street from work that uses the same high risk OB and my friend raves about them, so we'll give it a try. Oh, and apparently the other practice has a doctor with a lawsuit against him pending. I just don't trust people who can't do a urine dipstick to take care of me during a high risk pregnancy. Nope nope nope. So hopefully the new place is better!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes!! I am so glad you're switching! I'm sorry you had to deal with incompetence like that though. Holy cow.

    ReplyDelete