Monday, September 12, 2016

A Sort-Of Sibling For Evie and Andrew

I think I have another journal to write later, but right now I want to post about something I don't talk much about.


Andy and I had 3 embryos left over from our IVF cycles. After Evie, we didn't know what would happen with my kidneys, but we planned to have another baby if it was possible. When Andrew came along, we realized there just would not be any other way we could work out a third baby (or fourth or fifth given 3 embryos). My kidneys wouldn't have it. So we decided to give them up for adoption. It was tough because Evie was being looked at for potential sensory processing disorder at the time (which we no longer thing she has) so some places wouldn't take them. We finally found a place that would, and they immediately had a couple ready, who I'll refer to as "T&N". T&N knew everything about us and our kids, from my cholesterol issues to Andrew's delays (still undiagnosed). They still wanted them and were so happy to have them.


Well, N is pregnant! They transferred the two embryos from E's cycle that were frozen together. Only one took, but at least one did! She's now coming up on 14 weeks, and I'm so excited. It's still so weird for me to think that if the doctor had let us put in two like we asked, I could've been having the baby instead... though I'm glad that didn't happen because my body couldn't handle it. It's weird that their baby could've been E's twin. That it was conceived at the same time. That Evie and Andrew and T&N's baby are full biological siblings. I'm so, so glad it worked. I don't pretend to know the whole process but I know they had to spend a good deal of money on embryo storage, transfer, and legal fees, and the idea of them doing that and not having a baby was so upsetting! So I'm just relieved that it worked, and I hope everything is ok with the baby. Neither E nor A have high cholesterol, so hopefully their baby won't either. E has ADHD, but otherwise is fine. She's super smart and sweet and imaginative. I hope their baby is all of those things. Andrew has those delays we're still figuring out, but he's also so cuddly and precocious. I hope their baby is those things, too. I hope that their baby doesn't have delays, but at the same time, I know if it does, they're going to love it so much anyway. Everyone, even non-family, falls in love with Andrew right away. Kids and adults alike. Delays or not, he's so freaking special. Of course if we ever find out what caused his delays, we'll let them know. But there are so many wonderful things about both of my kids that I hope T&N get to experience with theirs. Evie is so social and loves to make friends with anyone and everyone.  Andrew is reserved, but if he likes you he LOVES you haha. They're just so special and I'm so happy for T&N.. that they get to experience carrying and having a child, but also, a child with the potential to be as amazing as E and A are!


And they still have one embryo left from our first failed cycle if they want to try for a sibling. But even if it doesn't work, they have this baby, and I could not be happier.


So just for my own edification, I'm going to break down our IVF stuff by the numbers.


Combined info from two cycles:


Total Antral Follicles: 39
Total Eggs Retrieved: 18
Total Mature Eggs: 14
Total Fertilized Eggs: 10
Total Embryos That Grew to Blast: 5
Total Embryos Transferred: 4 (one as a day 3 embryo)
Total Embryos Resulting in Pregnancy: 2 (Evie, and T&N's baby)
Remaining Frozen Embryos: 1




So... Two IVF cycles and 40 follicles... 2 babies and 1 still on ice. Those are really crappy odds!! Look how many follicles were empty or had immature eggs, or the eggs didn't fertilize. That's so insane! And then Andrew we had naturally. Truly a miracle.. both of my kids!!

No comments:

Post a Comment